Pages

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Andy Samberg + Joanna Newsom = ???

It's time for another embedded video post!

This morning I was sending an email to a friend who had mentioned that they didn't think I was into "folk / ethnic". Which is, I guess, sort've true. I don't have anything against that kind of music; it's just that I don't really expose myself to much of it. But I like Joanna Newsom a lot and Wikipedia says her voice "has shadings of folk and Appalachian shaped-note timbres", so I think I've got "folk / ethnic" covered. Then I saw this article:

Andy Samberg is engaged to Joanna Newsom

Now that's a quirky couple. Their kids will, I'm sure, be amazingly (and strangely) talented. In case you've been in a Turkish prison for the last decade or so, Andy Samberg created a great number of videos for Saturday Night Live, including the classic "Dick In A Box" with Justin Timberlake:

Joanna herself is a talented musician and lyricist (note: this is hotly contested by my wife and kids). Most song lyrics are, basically, bad poetry with an assist from the musical accompaniment. But Joanna's lyrics stand as poetry all by themselves.

For whatever reason, I spent a fair amount of time this weekend surfing music videos, some old, some new. Below is a random sampling of the best of them:

Jack White - Sixteen Saltines (Warning: Disturbingly disaffected urban youth, levitation)

Butch Clancy - Russian Lullaby (Warning: Unnatural movements)

Amon Tobin - Esther's (Warning: Not everyone considers it music)

Beach House - Wishes (Warning: Director is channeling David Lynch. Also: Ray Wise)

Joey Ramone - New York City (Warning: Anthony Bourdain cameo)

Royksopp - Remind Me (Warning: favorited by Edward Tufte)

She Wants Revenge - Tear You Apart (Warning: Censored f-bombs. Also: Communist alien paranoia)

Fatboy Slim - Weapon Of Choice (Warning: Flying Christopher Walken - very scary!)

Cinnamon Chasers - Luv Deluxe (Warning: Teens behaving badly)

Metallica - Whiskey In The Jar (Warning: Momma told you not to come to this party)

DIrty Vegas - Days Go By (Warning: Break dancing)

Dubwars: First Strike (Warning: Long, awesome, disturbing images from horror movies)

Barto - Ready? (Warning: Russian band, NSFW (NC-17 for sex))

No comments:

Post a Comment