Pages

Monday, April 8, 2013

Broadway, Here I Come!

Roberta has taken a liking to the television show Smash -- which is, I think, the result of my having said "it would be a boring world if everyone liked the same things" one too many times, and now God is having a chuckle at my expense. Which I'm okay with, really, because when it comes to humor, I'll take mine black, with a heaping helping of irony on the side.

So ... she likes it. I think they named the show the way they did because it's a painful attempt to "smash" every Broadway / musical / show-biz cliché, trope, bromide, and banality in existence into a single narrative.

But that's okay. I've long since mastered the ability to selectively tune out almost any television content and focus on my reading or computer or whatnot. But there is a small part of my subconscious that is always paying attention, and every so often it will kick me and say "hey, check this out!" Which is how I became aware of the song Broadway, Here I Come!, written by Joe Iconis. Which is sorta like stopping by the Owens family's garage sale and seeing Mr. Belvedere's Fabergé egg sitting there with a sticker that says "$5".

Anyhow -- if you haven't already listened to the song in the clip above, you really should. The lyrics are below. Yeah, it's kinda sick, but -- I like it like that!

Broadway, Here I Come!

by Joe Iconis

Will I remain the same, or will it change a little bit
Will I feel broken or totally complete

Will I retain my name when I'm the biggest hugest hit
Or will I blend in with the rest of the street

The people all are pointing
I bet they'd never guess
That the saint that they're anointing
Is frightened of the mess

But even though I fear it
I'm playing all my cards
Baby, you are gonna hear it
When I give them my regards

I'm falling, baby, through the sky, through the sky
I'm falling, baby, through the sky
It's my calling, baby, don't you cry, don't you cry
I'm falling down through the sky

And I refuse to go numb
Oh, Broadway here I come
Broadway, here I come
Broadway, here I come
Broadway, Broadway, here I come
Here I come!

And the last thing I hear
As the impact grows near
Is it a scream or a cheer?
Well, never mind, I'll never find out
'Cause Broadway, I am here!

No comments:

Post a Comment