Pages

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

I Dream Of Wires / the Packrat


I Dream of Wires is an upcoming documentary on modular synthesizers. Who'da thunk it? I mean: this is a hobby that used to be pretty much the exclusive domain of universities and well-heeled musicians. But in the past few years it seems like it's going mainstream. Which makes me happy -- but also surprises the hell out of me.

Much much more at idreamofwires.org

Alas, it's still a bit too expensive for me. But maybe that will change. It seems like there are a lot of people like me who dreamed of owning a big modular setup when they were young, and now that they (and the technology) have grown up, and they have some disposable income, they're indulging themselves. Eurorack is becoming extremely popular -- I wonder if any of the major players in the synthesizer biz (Korg, Roland, Yamaha, Moog, etc) will jump into the game? I'm sure there will always be "boutique" module manufacturers who charge $500 or more for a unique component, but if the big guys get involved, modular may begin to fit into my budget.

Which leads to this wonderful webcomic I've just encountered: the Packrat. David Lovelace, the strip's creator, is pretty seriously in tune with the topic. For example:


Guilty. And this one is entirely too close to reality:


[I couldn't find any guidelines for linking to the Packrat's site, so if the images above cause any ire, please let me know]

No comments:

Post a Comment